March 13, 2008

Mommy... Where Do Ideas Come From?


Ok. So I don't have kids tugging at my skirt asking me questions about life, the universe and everything but, I have had a lot of people ask me where I get my inspiration lately. A question I've always found odd. 

Why?

Because.

Just because. 


Ok. Not just because. Because it seems like a strange question to ask. Like: "why do I have a mouth?" or: "why do I think?". Strange because, what do you do with an answer to that question - where does inspiration come from? Do you use it to look for your own? Does it concretize the object the inspiration creates in some vast bubble of "Ohhhhh."? It's just something I've personally never wondered about in regards to anyone else's art or anything else. Personally. Myself. Plus, it's such a complicated question to answer. You might as well ask: "why do we exist?" 


Inspiration. Some people have it. Some people don't. That's it. Like being able to dance or play an instrument. Like seeing the sun rise and knowing life is good. Like watching the sunset behind a storm and being mesmerized by the color and shapes of the storm clouds roiling before it. It's just there. Or it isn't. No specific place. No specific thing. Many places. Many things make up inspiration. Sure. Skills can be learned, but there has to be talent to develop behind those skills or there is just robotic motion. Same with inspiration. Can't force it. Just has to be there.


Ok. That said. How does one answer such a question. Most artists say:
"I don't know. It just happened."


Or some such thing. Which makes art critics crazy so they wind up making something up; which is why they looooove to critique dead artist's work. No one to say: "That's not it at all." Which inevitably, all living artists do; at some point. 


Right. I just make jewelry and I make it mostly from other people's things. True. Right now. I have, however, created small metal sculptures from nothing. And choreographed movement to music. Something else I've at some point in my life created from nothing. Words form in my head and get translated into poetry and short stories and essays from time to time as well. Sometimes I draw things that are recognizable or swirl paint around so I can have pretty colors on something. I didn't go to art school. I have taken classes in different art forms. There is much I want to learn and more I want to do. I will. No. I don't consider myself an artist. I do consider myself artistic - though, sometimes I feel more autistic. 


(a picture of my favorite small sculpture - in Sterling)



I digress. 


I'm supposed to be answering the question: "Where do you get your inspiration?" aren't I? Ok. Here goes:


Everywhere. 


Really. From the things I see around me. From music and sounds I hear. From things I read. From the materials I have to work with. From my dreams. Sometimes things just pop into my head and I have an overwhelming desire to make it. Or write it down. Or move with it. 


Of course, sometimes there is no inspiration. Things won't work the way I want them to or my hands aren't working; or my mind. So, whatever I'm trying to do at the time gets set aside until a better time. This is a good thing to learn: If it isn't working out, walk away from it and come back later. If it still isn't working out, leave it alone a little longer and try again later. Eventually, if it's something you're supposed to do, it will work out. If not, there are always other ideas to work on. Personally, there are dozens of ideas still in my head - that's where I file them, mostly - that are just waiting for the right time to come out into the world. If the time is never right, there are dozens more that might get the chance. 



So, anyone else got a different outlook on inspiration? Leave me a note for all to see.