December 16, 2009

Cap'n Trade is Stupid

Environmental Rant alert!

Some of you know I've always been a bit enraged by Obama's announcement that Cap & Trade is one of his Climate Change solutions. Because it's an asinine idea. Doesn't work in Europe, won't work here.

Always been a supporter - and practicer - of the Reduce (Reduce, Reduce first!), Reuse (Reuse, Reuse, Reuse until it falls apart), then Recycle model. I managed the Bernal Heights Recycling Center for a couple years when I lived in San Francisco but I learned that practice long before that from family and educational After School and Saturday Morning TV (ahhh, the 70's;).

I turn off lights and unplug things when they aren't in use and use only as much as I need and try to figure out how to use less whenever I can. I use rechargeable batteries in everything that needs them, compact fluorescents, take my own shopping bags (even the ones for the individual food - I've been doing that since the SF 80's), buy in bulk when I can (from the bulk bins, not huge amounts at discount chains), try to buy only organic or transitional if possible...

My car gets around 35 miles to the gallon, I drive it only when I really have to, and I make sure it's running smoothly to keep the emissions down. When I can afford it, and there are cars made with Carbon Fiber bodies that get 200+ miles to the charge, I'll be getting an electric car. (A completely self contained enviro house is also on the list when the money comes in)

With my online jewelry store; I try to reuse every bit of shipping material I get sent with my supplies (and have a big bucket of the stuff I'm waiting to use) whenever I can (your online jewelry order will let me reuse some more;).

Almost all the metals I use to make my jewelry come from at least some reused, melted down, scrap. That's standard industry practice at this point. And a few suppliers are making a point of letting us all know that some of their metals are 100% from reused. I try to buy parts made in the US when I can (for lots of other reasons too but the closer it is, the less shipping pollution). Plus some of it is vintage and available even closer to my home to begin with. Same with most of my beads and some of my stones. Some stones I'll be using in the near future, I found myself. So no mining involved at all in that jewelry future.

Of course, there is more I could do, but I live in a small apartment so composting and rain water collection isn't an option. Plus, even with home ownership, our society isn't geared toward a lot of environmental household things unless you have a lot of money. Or you renounce all modern living altogether. Obviously, none of us can avoid new things and modern travel and conveniences without going completely Mountain, but every little bit you can do in your personal situation does really help. Some of it could even save you money.

Point is, Cap & Trade just encourages mining and drilling and waste and does nothing to encourage reduction and reuse. No renewable in that equation at all.

James Hansen purports Fee and Dividend instead. I agree. That makes the most sense. And, a few people in the government are moving toward that route with a new bill being worked out now: The CLEAR Act. Not all the way, but in that right direction. So, make sure you write to your government employees (oh yes, you hired them, you pay them - TELL them what you want them to do. That's their job!) and let them know you support the Clear Act and want it stronger in the direction of Fee & Dividend!

Ok, rant over. Now, let's all get out there and make a difference!

[This month 10% of my online sales are going to Habitat for Humanity. I've already got $30 waiting for more sales to add to the amount I'll be sending to them. Next month, 10% goes to NRDC. Hopefully I can get enough sales in January to send even more to them. Hope some of you can help me in that area; maybe even in both months. Thanks in advance!]

No comments: